Writer Donald Miller says that a therapist recently asked him to write a few lines about what integrity means to him.
He says it changed his life, and his thinking.
Because integrity… when it comes right down to it… is a very personal thing.
You can hide things from people, but not from yourself.
Here’s what Don came up with for himself:
Don has integrity when he:
- 1. Doesn’t promise more than he can deliver.
- 2. Stands in the authority God has given him.
- 3. Consistently contributes something positive to the world.
- 4. Accepts the idea that
to much has been given much is expected
- 5. Allows God and trusted others to correct his path.
- 6. Follows through on agreed upon tasks.
- 7. Acknowledges God as his leader and Jesus as his friend.
- 8. Keeps work and family in balance.
- 9. Always keeps love at the core of his interactions with other people.
- 10. Does not default to a victim mindset, but takes responsibility for what can be done.
- 11. Does not people please.
- 12. Sees people as the lost or tarnished masterpieces of Christ.
- 13. Is strong.
- 14. Is faithful to Betsy.
- 15. Is true to his creative calling.
What does integrity mean to you? I mean… PERSONALLY… mean to you?
Try this exercise.