There is a move on the internet to ban an upcoming visit to Liberty University by Mark Driscoll. Driscoll is supposed to speak at an April 20th chapel service and hold a marriage conference on campus.
But this isn’t sitting well with some, and they’ve started an online petition to stop Driscoll from speaking on campus.
Add an outspoken blogger to the mix, and you have a mini-firestorm that caused the Liberty board to fire back an official response, claiming big misrepresentations from the blogger.
As it stands at this writing, Driscoll is still scheduled to speak on April 20.
Here’s the wording of the petition. Would it convince YOU to sign it?
How would your founder Jerry Falwell respond to a preacher who taught this in his writing and speaking?
“In conjunction with the rhythm method of birth control, it is possible to use anal sex as an option.”
“Jesus Christ commands you to [perform oral sex on your husband]….What I would say to you as well, ladies, I probably shouldn’t, that most of your husbands wake up in the morning with an erection, and so rather than setting the alarm, if this was the way that you helped to awaken them, they would have a great day. Amen? I’m actually saying these things. Some of you are sitting here going, “Is this happening? Is this really happening?” Yes it is. [Laughter from audience.]…And he says that, “Your vagina is a garden.” It has wonderful smells and it has wonderful tastes. It’s a garden. . . . He talks about how much he loves her vagina. Many women feel awkward about this. The husband needs to tell the wife, “It’s beautiful. It tastes well. It smells well. You keep yourself well. I enjoy it. It’s a garden to me.”
Here’s what one of Jerry Falwell’s peers, well known Pastor John MacArthur had to say about Mark Driscoll’s teaching.
“It is spiritually tantamount to an act of rape” and “Mark Driscoll has boldly led the parade down this carnal path.”
What would the parents of your students say if they saw this?
What would the pastors who refer students to Liberty say?
What would your donors say if they had to read this?
If you say you aren’t worried about that, then for integrity’s sake immediately post these statements on your website. Your students and those who care about their spiritual welfare deserve fair warning about Driscoll’s penchant to sexualize whatever he can, wherever he can.
Click here to sign the petition asking Liberty University to cancel Mark Driscoll’s upcoming speaking event.
Failure to Drop Driscoll may result in a public protest on the Liberty University campus.
Here are my thoughts…
1. It’s always a bad argument when you start by asking what a dead founder would say/do. Truth is… no one knows. He’s dead.
2. You go from the deceased founder to an anal sex quote. I’m pretty sure Jerry Falwell wouldn’t like that. (There… see how easy that was to invoke the name of the founder).
3. Cite one paragraph from a few hundred page book.
4. Bring John MacArthur into the mix (and again mention the dead founder).
5. Throw in a ‘what would the parents think’ type statement.
6. Throw in a ‘remember… pastors recruit for you and recommend Liberty University… but they won’t if you let this ‘anal’ guy speak on campus.
7. Don’t forget the ‘your donors will all dry up’ if you let this happen schpeel.
8. If all else fails, cite their ‘lack of integrity’ and lack of spiritual discernment.
9. Make everything about sex. Like Driscoll’s ‘penchant to sexualize whatever he can, wherever he can.”
10. Finally… and don’t ever forget this… threaten a public protest on campus.
If I remember right, Jerry Falwell liked a good organized public protest every now and then. (There I go again… sorry, Jerry.)
You know… I went to Cedarville University in the 1980s, and I remember a very similar situation that created a lot of scuttlebutt and trouble for University officials in 1985. It was all about a speaker we were having in chapel.
People were outraged that we would have such a social activist. The more conservative among us were outraged that Cedarville would bring such a ecumenical leader to campus.
(And I still remember the ‘three wise men and a virgin’ joke he told at chapel.)
It’s been 25 years since then. But we still have people that get all honked off.
What’s the fear?
That Mark Driscoll will get all the ‘Christian College Kids” all fired up about anal sex?
Those are my top ten reasons. Perhaps you have more?
Save hours of your valuable time and keep up on the things you need to know! Download Ministry Briefing, June 2013
Switch to our mobile site