Hundreds of Collier’s closest family and friends packed into New Hope Ministries in Lakewood, Colorado Saturday to celebrate her life. But minutes before the start of the funeral service, relatives say they were shocked to hear that the funeral service would not be able to continue. New Hope’s Pastor Ray Chavez informed the mourning family that the services for Collier would not be able to go on because of the “inappropriate” video that Collier’s family wanted displayed at her casket, relatives say. The video contained photos of Collier kissing her wife on the lips. Another photo captured Collier leaning down on one knee, proposing to her wife. Family members were told that they would be able to proceed with the funeral as long as those images were edited out of the video… Collier’s family decided that they would not edit the video, and instead moved the funeral to Newcomer Funeral Home, which is located across the street from the church. The family carried Collier’s flowers and photos to the funeral home. Collier’s casket had to be closed, placed in the hearse, and driven across the street.keep reading
“The first question a congregant asked in my interview in front of the whole church was, ‘What is your biggest struggle in life?’ and I shared this part of my story with the church… I preach on issues of sexuality when they come up in the Scripture text that day, but it’s not a hobby horse of mine. I think we all have part of our desires that we choose not to act on, right? So for me, it’s not just that the religion was important to me, but communion with a God who loves me, who accepts me right where I am.”We hear a lot about ‘transparency’ in the pulpit these days; and with most, I think it’s a good thing over-all. But is it possible to have TOO much transparency, especially in the pulpit? keep reading
Hit or MissJack Schaap faces 10 years after plea deal (0:26) Pastors are Hurting (2:45) Robert A. Schuller defaults on Home (6:22) That he is renting out for retreats… (June 2012) (9:26) It Has to Stop (11:06) Joel Osteen on Homosexuality (13:20) Is This a Social Statement? (20:02) Split Congregation Locks Some Members Out (22:55) Less Than 20% of Church Goers Read their Bible Daily (26:55) Church Abuse Scandal in Tulsa (29:42)
FilterIs Your Cell Phone Making You a Jerk? (33:30) How Your Cell Phone Hurts Your Relationships (33:30) Smartphones and Relationships, or My Eyes are Up Here (33:30) Updated Trends on Megachurches (38:28) Do Mega-Churches Hurt the Poor? (43:34)
In Our HeadsMinistering to Sex Offenders, from a protected conversation within the GCM Collective (51:08) This weekend at the church down the street (53:30)
- I don’t know who would say that you aren’t supposed to leave your children better off than you were.
- Prosperity isn’t just financial… it’s abundant life… body, soul, mind, and spirit.
- You can’t be a blessing if you are poor, broke and depressed.
- It’s a mixture of things.
- I think there are forces trying to hold us all down.
- A lot of it is just that we choose to accept things as they are.
- We have to choose to rise out of it.
- I try to search my own heart every morning.
- I feel like if I am pure before God and my heart is right, I don’t have to listen to my critics or answer to them.
- I answer to God.
- I try to stay focused on what God has called me to do.
- We don’t take a salary from the ministry.
- It comes from books sales and other things like that.
- I don’t make apologies for God’s blessings.
- We’re big givers, we practice what we preach.
- Money should never be the focus of your life.
- Your focus should be to be a blessings to others.
- Wishing you were someone else is an insult to God.
- He made each one of us as a masterpiece.
- Jesus is the way to the one God.
- And I believe there are many paths to Jesus.
- I’m not into excluding people.
- I believe gay people will be accepted in Heaven.
- We look at being gay as being a bigger sin than being prideful.
- I don’t believe God categorizes sins.
- We are all changing.
- We need to be willing to change and grow.
- Heaven is open for all of us.
- I believe homosexuality is a sin, according to the Bible.
- When I read the Scripture with good faith, I see it as being a sin.