Here’s a story about the affects of the lottery from this week’s edition of Ministry Briefing:
George Loewenstein, a professor of economics and psychology at Carnegie Mellon University, and other researchers found in one study that people made to feel poor bought more lottery tickets. The findings, he said, “suggest that lottery tickets provide an escape from the feeling of poverty.”
Some of the findings from the article:
- “What if?” – people play with small odds of what MIGHT happen
- Odds of winning at about 1 in 292 million
- Harmless entertainment? Sin? Taking advantage of the poor?
- John Piper: it’s ‘spiritual suicide, a kind of embezzlement, and foolish’ [http://bit.ly/1RHXRWA]
- Lower income spend more on lottery tickets
Why it matters:
- Why they really buy? HOPE
- What we offer: HOPE
- What is YOUR view of the lottery?
- What would YOU do if someone in your church won the lottery and gave the tithe?
- What would the CHURCH (Big C) do with 1.5 BILLION dollars? Would it make a difference?
Save Time. Lead Better. Ministry Briefing finds only the top news items, cultural trends, and resources that you need to know about each week… stories that will help you save time and lead better.
Who doesn’t want to be a better leader, right? But it takes time to develop and learn new leadership insights. And it takes an intelligent plan. Ministry Briefing puts everything you need to develop your leadership in your hands each month. You’ll find the top 40 resources nicely summarized and fully linked so that you can drill-down on your specific areas of interest.
Great leaders learn from great leaders. Each week, our editors read hundreds of church leadership resources (the great, the not-so-great, and the ‘really’?) and pick only the best of the best to share in Ministry Briefing. You’ll learn great concepts and ideas from really sharp minds… things that will stretch and mold you into a better leader for your local church.
We’re not in the business of selling a bloated program or complicated process that guarantees (or suggests) that we’ll make you the next Andy Stanley. We don’t claim to be the best thing since sliced bread. We simply have a passion for the church and ministry and collecting the best resources we think can help you be a better church leader, one idea at a time.
Great church leaders keep up on what’s happening in the big “C” church. We make it easy to keep your head out of the sand without wasting your time. Read this week’s full edition with your no-risk trial subscription now.