Posted by Todd Rhoades in Current Events
on Jan 10th, 2012 | 11 comments
Tim Schraeder has written a wonderful synopsis of Joel Osteen’s appearance on Oprah’s new show over the weekend. I think it’s worth your read.
Some of the more interesting things to me:
On preaching prosperity:
Why would people think preaching prosperity is a bad thing?
- I don’t know who would say that you aren’t supposed to leave your children better off than you were.
- Prosperity isn’t just financial… it’s abundant life… body, soul, mind, and spirit.
- You can’t be a blessing if you are poor, broke and depressed.
If you are poor, broke, and depressed is it because you aren’t praying enough or aren’t in alignment?
- It’s a mixture of things.
- I think there are forces trying to hold us all down.
- A lot of it is just that we choose to accept things as they are.
- We have to choose to rise out of it.
You have been criticized by fundamentalists about the lack of doctrine or Christ in the messages…
- I try to search my own heart every morning.
- I feel like if I am pure before God and my heart is right, I don’t have to listen to my critics or answer to them.
- I answer to God.
- I try to stay focused on what God has called me to do.
Where does the money you live your life with come from?
- We don’t take a salary from the ministry.
- It comes from books sales and other things like that.
- I don’t make apologies for God’s blessings.
- We’re big givers, we practice what we preach.
- Money should never be the focus of your life.
- Your focus should be to be a blessings to others.
- Wishing you were someone else is an insult to God.
- He made each one of us as a masterpiece.
Universalism and Homosexuality:
Are there many paths to get to the one God?
- Jesus is the way to the one God.
- And I believe there are many paths to Jesus.
- I’m not into excluding people.
Are gay people also included?
- I believe gay people will be accepted in Heaven.
- We look at being gay as being a bigger sin than being prideful.
- I don’t believe God categorizes sins.
- We are all changing.
- We need to be willing to change and grow.
- Heaven is open for all of us.
Are you saying that being gay is a sin?
- I believe homosexuality is a sin, according to the Bible.
- When I read the Scripture with good faith, I see it as being a sin.
Overall, it looks like a good performance by Osteen.
Take a moment to read more of Tim’s synopsis of the whole interview here…