Check out this story from this week’s edition of Ministry Briefing.
In a poll by Lifeway research, former pastors were asked to list the top 5 reasons that they left the pastorate. A change in calling, conflict within their church and burnout were at the top of the list. “Almost half of those who left the pastorate said their church wasn’t doing any of the kinds of things that would help” said executive director Ed Stetzer.
Some of the findings from this research include:
- Trouble begins early with 48 percent of the former pastors saying the search team didn’t accurately describe the church before their arrival.
- 40% reported a change in calling
- 35% had a conflict in the church
- 19% experienced burnout
- 12% said personal finances played a role
- 12% reported family issues
Why does this matter?
- Unhealthy churches lead to unhealthy pastors, and vice-versa
- Churches need to develop the systems to support pastors early on in order to sustain their ministry
- Isolation, lack of boundaries, and a lack of clarity on expectations lead to an early flame out
Save Time. Lead Better. Ministry Briefing finds only the top news items, cultural trends, and resources that you need to know about each week… stories that will help you save time and lead better.
Who doesn’t want to be a better leader, right? But it takes time to develop and learn new leadership insights. And it takes an intelligent plan. Ministry Briefing puts everything you need to develop your leadership in your hands each month. You’ll find the top 40 resources nicely summarized and fully linked so that you can drill-down on your specific areas of interest.
Great leaders learn from great leaders. Each week, our editors read hundreds of church leadership resources (the great, the not-so-great, and the ‘really’?) and pick only the best of the best to share in Ministry Briefing. You’ll learn great concepts and ideas from really sharp minds… things that will stretch and mold you into a better leader for your local church.
We’re not in the business of selling a bloated program or complicated process that guarantees (or suggests) that we’ll make you the next Andy Stanley. We don’t claim to be the best thing since sliced bread. We simply have a passion for the church and ministry and collecting the best resources we think can help you be a better church leader, one idea at a time.
Great church leaders keep up on what’s happening in the big “C” church. We make it easy to keep your head out of the sand without wasting your time. Read this week’s full edition with your no-risk trial subscription now.