Tony Morgan lists 35 low-risk changes that churches can make today.
I want to re-title that just a bit to correlate with my last post on making decisions.
Every change starts with a decision… and here are a few of the 35 that Tony and his team came up with that are a good start.
(Granted, some are actually riskier than others… but most of these decisions will show movement on your part, and empower you and your congregation for the future):
- Change service times.
- Empower a volunteer leader.
- Offer resources to help people engage Scripture outside of the Sunday service.
- Prioritize cross-cultural “missions” opportunities in the same region where your church is located.
- Challenge staff to invest 20% of their time in leadership development.
- Limit yourself to one, all-church announcement in every service.
- Develop a teaching team rather than relying on just one teacher.
- Add pictures or, better yet, video clips to your website to give people a taste of your teaching, worship and children’s ministry.
- Provide identical children’s ministry experiences at every weekend service so families aren’t limited in the services they can attend.
- Stop something.
- Create opportunities for students to serve and lead rather than just consuming experiences.
- Plan to spend less than you anticipate receiving from offerings.
- Create ways for people to share nuggets of teaching and worship content through social media.
- Launch a new weekend service.
- Start using online solutions (like Asana) to keep the team on the same page.
- Hire someone from the outside (staff or consultant) to bring fresh perspective and a new approach.