Dan Rockwell offers this list of the top 12 reasons that leaders fail. Take a look at the list. How many fallen leaders do you know that failed because of something on this list? Also… do some self-inspection Are there things on this list that you need to watch out for personally?
- Neglecting culture. Culture building is job-one for all leaders.
- Lack of paranoia. The paranoid think about what could go wrong and make contingency plans.
- Bitterness, grudges, and resentment. People fail. Successful leaders allow fresh starts.
- Task rather than people focus.
- Accepting complexity.
- Lack of political awareness. Successful leaders build relationships with powerful players.
- Failure to sell successes and accomplishments with humility. If the right people don’t know your value, you aren’t valuable.
- Trusting the untested. Talent without a track record is dangerous.
- Fearing great talent.
- Postponing tough conversations.
- People pleasing.
- Refusing to adapt. Adaptability is the greatest ability.