Scott Williams writes: There are many attributes that various leaders possess, many of them positive and unfortunately some not so positive. People are looking for particular attributes in leaders they want to work for. Leaders that possess these attributes generally have a positive, healthy work environment with minimal turnover.
Below are 11 Attributes People Are Looking For In a Leader. We will creatively title them:
- 1. Honesty – Tell the truth; even if lying is easier — tell the truth. || “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~Thomas Jefferson
- 2. Integrity – Do what’s right; even if nobody is watching — do what’s right. || ”There are seven things that will destroy us: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Religion without sacrifice; Politics without principle; Science without humanity; Business without ethics.” ~Mahatma Gandhi and I will add an 8th “Leadership without integrity.”
- 3. Visionary – Have some vision for where you’re going; empower your team to get you there and if you don’t do anything else — have some vision for where you are going. || “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ~Thomas Jefferson
- 4. Self Awareness – Know who you are; the good, the bad and the ugly, know who you are. || ”He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.” ~Lao Tzu
- 5. Risk Taker – Be willing to try new things, new strategies and embrace new ideas; even if the ideas aren’t yours — be willing to try new things, new strategies and embrace new ideas. || “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” ~Harold R. McAlindon
- 6. Caring – Truly care about those you lead; people can care less about how much you know until they know how much you care — truly care about those you lead. || “Our love is like the misty rain that falls softly, but floods the river…” ~African Proverb
Thoughts? Do you have anything you would add or take away from the list?